This webinar described why home and community-based programs with a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) on their staff or that contract with an RDN for services are well-positioned to provide in-home nutrition assessment and consultation. Participants learned more about the importance to healthcare entities and caregivers having an RDN perform an in-home nutrition assessment and guidance on the questions to add or include. Presenters walked through a home visit scenario highlighting biological, psychological and social factors that may contribute to malnutrition. Attendees received step-by-step instruction on observational, performance-based and self-reported nutrition indicators and examples of how they could apply commonly used assessment tools for a functional, cognitive and nutrition-focused physical exam in an in-home setting.
In this training, participants learned to:
• Understand the possibilities of expanding your services and include nutrition assessments in your menu of services; and
• Become familiar with the tools your RDNs can use for in-home assessments.
• Holly Kellner Greuling, RDN, National Nutritionist at the Administration for Community Living
• Susan Saffel-Shrier, MS, RDN, Adjunct Professor in the Division of Nutrition at the University of Utah
Downloads and Webinar Recording
Registered dietitians: Optimizing the National Health Through Food: http://www.eatright.org/~/media/eatright%20files/rdn-optimizing-the-publics-health-through-food-and-nutrition.ashx
Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Food and Nutrition for Older Adults: Promoting Health and Wellness: http://www.eatrightpro.org/
Nutrition Focused Physical Examinations – Today’s Dietitian http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/0216p36.shtml
- Posted: May 8, 2017
- Type: Articles & Documents