Hosted by the National Resource Center on Nutrition and Aging and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Senior nutrition programs have a service structure in place and are trusted, proven and valuable partners in the expanding health care market. Congregate and home-delivered meals programs funded through the Older Americans Act can be ideal settings to provide reimbursable Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) for older adults. MNT provided in senior nutrition programs can improve lives and delay or prevent adverse health conditions to curb health care costs associated with hospitalizations and admissions to long term care. Medicare reimbursement for MNT is a sustainable funding source beyond the traditional funding base for senior nutrition programs that employ registered dietitian nutritionists.
The MNTWorks for Seniors Toolkit was created through a partnership between the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and the National Resource Center on Nutrition and Aging with the goal of strengthening the ability of registered dietitian nutritionists and senior nutrition program administrators to offer reimbursable nutrition therapy-focused services.
Attendees of this webinar learned more about the MNT Works for Seniors Toolkit, emerging nutrition-focused health care integration opportunities for senior nutrition programs, and practice-informed strategies for leveraging the MNTWorks for Seniors Toolkit in their own work.
Attendees of this webinar:
• Identified emerging nutrition-focused opportunities for senior nutrition programs in the evolving healthcare integration landscape;
• Recognized opportunities to develop and implement reimbursable Medical Nutrition Therapy Service package at your organization;
• Discovered existing resources for MNT and Medicare that can be used to expand nutrition services;
• Compared real-life examples of organizations that have integrated MNT into existing services as an added value.
- Marsha Schofield, MS, RD, LD, FAND, Senior Director, Governance, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Paula Ritter-Gooder, PhD, RDN, CSG, LMNT, FAND
Downloads and Webinar Recording
The recorded webinar is eligible for 1 CE by the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
Research and reports
- Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and the Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior: Food and Nutrition Programs for Community-Residing Older Adults. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019;119(7):1188-1204.
- National Coalition of Care Coordination. Building the Business Case: Community Organizations Responding to the Changing Healthcare Environments for Older Adults.
- Addressing social determinants of health for beneficiaries in Medicare Advantage
- Effective partnerships between community-based organizations and healthcare
- Healthcare policy and practice opportunities – Part 1
- Healthcare policy and practice opportunities – Part 2
- Strategies for Your RDN to Add Value & Increase Your Organization’s Engagement in the Healthcare Arena