The opioid epidemic is an issue of growing concern in the United States. All ages, including older adults, are feeling its impact. According to the Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project, across the past 20 years, the hospitalization rate for geriatric misuse of opioids has quintupled. While it is common for older adults to experience chronic pain, special consideration should be given when prescribing opioids to older patients. Pharmacist Kyle Decker of Simple Meds® will join this web seminar as a guest speaker to share more about the impact of opioid use on older adults. Register for this month’s web seminar to learn more about the opioid epidemic and to learn about ways older adults can more effectively manage their medication.
Participants in this web seminar will be able to:
- List the trends of opioid use in older adults;
- Describe the potential risks associated with medication overuse and mismanagement;
- Describe how to assist families in addressing concerns about their loved one’s opioid use;
- Describe proper disposal of opioid medications; and,
- List resources to help strengthen the role of the family in reducing the potential for medication risks.